Everyone should taste a just picked fruit or vegetable at least once in their life. Preferably a lot more than once. If you’ve never grown vegetables on your balcony or patio before, or you want to get out of your tomato and basil growing rut, try one of these five edibles.
All of these plants can be planted now or in the near future:
- Arugula – Nearly fail proof to grow yourself, and over priced at the supermarket makes arugula the perfect plant to grow at home. You haven’t lived until you’ve eaten a salad with greens so fresh they melt in your mouth.
- Brussels Sprouts – Two plants will easily provide several meals worth of the sprouts, which are amazing when picked fresh and lightly roasted. Plant them in a pot that is at least 10 inches deep.
- Garlic – There are lots of varieties of garlic, most of which aren’t available at even the most well-stocked grocery stores or farmer’s markets. For example, if you want to taste a garlic described as a “veritable garlic inferno” then you’re most likely going to have to grow it yourself.
- Kale – Is one of those plants that looks beautiful and tastes great. It is somewhat cold tolerant, so it’s perfect for those of you for whom winter comes early.
- Lavender – The plants and perfume are beautiful, bees love them, and there are a number of ways to cook with lavender. What’s not to love? Check out this list of compact lavenders, more suitable for container growing.
What would you add to this list?